Sunday, March 27, 2011

Pumpkin Spice and Chocolate Pancakes

My buddy Andy may just be the nicest guy in the world. I've heard stories about him serving the neighbors 5 o'clock drinks on the porch while all the kids play in the front yard, witnessed him flipping quesadillas for his girls on Saturdays, and got firsthand accounts about how he was the best neighbor to Mo and Lindsey in Texas. Every year, Andy kindly hosts me in Austin and allows me to stay in his guest room when I am working SXSW. Last week, I got to hang out with everyone during Andy's Sunday pancake breakfast. This pumpkin-and-chocolate version is one of his specialties, and the girls adorably clamored for more. My take on his recipe is a great, kid-friendly breakfast, too; it's no more trouble than regular pancakes but is twice as delicious!

Pumpkin Spice and Chocolate Pancakes

1/2 whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup AP flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
2 tbsp. cane sugar
1/4 tsp. each of clove, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice
1 can of organic pumpkin (plain)
1 cup of milk
1 egg
dark chocolate chips
maple syrup

Whisk the first 5 dry ingredients together (from flours to spices). Mix the pumpkin, milk, and egg together and add them to the dry ingredients; combine until there are no big lumps, but don't overmix. Spoon onto a griddle or pan on medium heat; the trick to good pancakes is not going too hot since they can easily scorch. Drop 7-8 chocolate chips into each pancake. Flip and serve with maple syrup and a pat of butter.

2 comments:

Nadia said...

Drool!!! I gotta try this. Ps. where did you get the wedget for the Find us on Facebook? I been trying to find that.

Ireland said...

WoWWw!!!
Yah perfect for breakfast and snacks. Especially I would really crave for pancakes. Pancakes for me is a healthy diet.